Construction Chronicle of the Monument to the People’s Heroes is a concrete structure, and located in the grounds of the Huangpu Park.
This park is at the north-end of the Shanghai Bund (Zhongshan East 1 Road), at the confluence of Soochow Creek (or Suzhou Creek) and Huangpu River.
Construction Chronicle of the Monument to the People’s Heroes in Shanghai
In 1950 when the first anniversary of the liberation of Shanghai was celebrated.
The Shanghai Municipal People’s Government decided to build monument to the people’s heroes in Shanghai to commemorate forever the people’s heroes who laid down their lives in the people’s revolutionary struggles and held a ceremony to lay the foundation stone in Huangpu Park.
However, the project was suspended for some reason.
According to the proposal of the 6th Session of the 8th Shanghai Municipal People’s Congress in 1987, the Shanghai Municipal Government decided to build the Monument at the original site.
On November 17 of the same year, the municipal goverment announced a public design solicitation for it The Municipal Government began to raise funds for it on November 28, 1987 and received enthusiastic support from all sections of society.
Over three thousand government institutions, groups, enterprises and agencies, as well as people from all walks of life, donated more than RMB 11 million By January 31, 1988, the deadline, one hundred designs had been received.
After careful examination, the design by Tongji University was accepted.
With the Huangpu River as the background, this design takes the ever-flowing river as the symbol of the history of the Shanghai people’s undaunted indomitable and heroic struggles over the last century.
The portraits in relief surrounding the lower circular plaza present the great revolutionary exploits of the Shanghai people.
The three 60 meter high granite obelisks in the center of the circular plaza symbolize the eternal glory to the people’s heroes who laid down their lives in the heroic struggles in Shanghai during the Opium War, the May Fourth Movement and the War of Liberation.
- The basic project of the Monument, the circular plaza, was commenced on December 31,1988.
- And the first pile for the main structure was driven on January 25, 1991.
The entire project was designed jointly by Tongji University and Shanghai Municipal Engineering Design Institute, and was built by the First Engineering Company of the Third Navigation Engineering Bureau of the Ministry of Communications.
- Completed on May 27,1994, the whole project lasted five years and five months,.
- The Shanghai Municipal People’s Government May 27, 1994.
Elegiac Inscripion of Construction Chronicle marks as follows.
Eternal glory to the people’s heroes who laid down their lives in Shanghai during the great China’s War of Liberation.
Eternal glory to the people’s heroes who laid down their lives in Shanghai in the heroic struggles of the people’s revolution since the great May Fourth Movement in 1919.
Eternal glory to the people’s heroes who laid down their lives in Shanghai in all the struggles against foreign and domestic enemies, in order to win national independence and for the people’s freedom and happiness since the Opium War in 1840.
The Shanghai Municipal People’s Government
May 7, 1993